Monday, September 15, 2008

Out with the family

Renate, Fabian, and Isa's back
Normally, shops and stores are not open in Germany on Sunday. However, yesterday was a special day, as school starts back for most students tomorrow. Because of this, everything was open. Sunday is usually when the family spends time together and does things like ride bikes or go on walks. Not that they aren't always riding bikes anyway. So all five of us got out the bikes and rode into town. It was a pretty enjoyable ride, but it was slightly cold outside, so when riding the bike it was even a bit worse. Riding bikes on the street makes me slightly nervous, as the roads are so narrow, but I know I shouldn't worry too much because hitting a pedestrian and/or bike rider here is a huge offense. I think they said that in addition to getting a huge fine, I think your license may also be taken away permanently. Or maybe just for a really long time..not sure on that one. Despite this, I still felt intimidated.
We all headed out to a beer garden type place that had a typical Bavarian menu. My host dad and host sister both order weinerschnitzle, which is basically a big breaded piece of pork. It was the biggest thing I had ever seen!! After asking for a bit of advice, I decided to order this prime rib type thing ( I can't remember what it was called), with a side of Reiderknödle (that's probably misspelled), which is a potato ball. The potato ball is made up of both cooked and uncooked potatoes, and it is kind of tacky and sticky. All of this was covered in the juices from the meat. It was very very vThe Wine Fountainery very good, and I would definitely order it again. The Reiderknödle wasn't actually as good as I had anticipated, so maybe I'll get something else. Renate, Werner, and I all had beer, of course. Riding the bike afterwards did not sound like such a great idea..
Next we went to the old courthouse, where they have a wine fountain. I believe they said it goes back to when King Ludwig was on the throne, and this fountain was used for special occasions, I think only once a year. Now, the Regensburgers can still enjoy wine from the fountain once a year. So we were fairly lucky to have been able to take part in this!

After this, Kevin, Eva & Carl (Kevin's host parents), Renate, and I went to the historical museum. Regensburg was established sometime during the Roman empire, I believe, and there is still an archway standing from this era. There were a lot of really interesting tombstones, jewelery, pottery, etc, to look at. Werner, Isa, and Fabian went home, as Isa and Fabian have both been to the museum many times with their schools. There is a coffee shop inside the museum as well, and afterwards, (we really only had an hour to look around before the museum closed), Renate, Eva, and I sat down for some coffee. I had an amaretto cafe late or something to that extent, and Renate had the same minus the amaretto. Eva didn't have anything because caffeine keeps her up. I should have done the same, but thankfully I managed to fall asleep!

No comments: