Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What am I learning?

So what I repeatedly heard from people encouraging me to go on this trip was, "It'll be life changing! You'll learn so much about yourself!" So what have I learned about myself? Well, so far, I know that I need a lot of time to myself. Why? Because after so long, I want to strangle people. I'm frustrated with myself though, and I wonder why I get so frustrated with people? I try and make excuses like, "Well, they are a lot younger than you are, you are at a different frame of mind," Well, maybe so, but I'm afraid that's just the excuse I make for myself. I have friends here, but I can only take them for so long before they start waining pretty thin on me. I've asked myself, "Is this normal for me?" Well, it's hard to say. There are 9 people that I am spending the majority of my time here with. I suppose it's logical that I would get really sick of them. However, I spend a lot of my time with the same people while I'm at home. On the other hand, I suppose I pick that lot of people myself. I know most logical leap would be that I should start trying to make friends outside of the group. Well, right now, that's looking like a pretty big leap. I don't have a lot of confidence in speaking German, and top that onto your normal lack of confidence and it does seem a bit more overwhelming. Well, yes, that's where the learning is supposed to come in. That's where you are just supposed to grow a pair and make some changes. Well, we'll see. But damn it, sometimes I feel like busting some ass and taking some names...

2 comments:

Alias said...

Be confident. You're a level-headed, intelligent, interesting, and beautiful person.

bagofcorn said...

I had a bit of the same thing in India, too. I think that maybe it's partially that you're in such a different environment and it's a shock even if you don't feel it, that you need more time to yourself. I would get really aggrevated with Kathleen and after being out and about all day, in the evening I'd just do my own thing, write in my journal or whatever. Which was weird for Kathleen - we talked about it actually b/c at the end of the day she just wanted to talk about everything and I just wanted to be quiet. So it could just be your personality - I don't think it's a bad thing - and we're probably a lot more alike that we'd like to admit... wog