Tuesday, October 7, 2008

3, 2, 1, Contact

So I mentioned earlier that making friends here seems difficult. I think I forgot to mention why. Our very first day here, the directors explained to us the difference between coconuts and peaches. Coconuts have a hard outershell, but are soft and mushy on the outside. Peaches are opposite. Of course this was a metaphor for Germans vs Americans. Germans are the coconuts. So after this introduction, things because a little more daunting.
Today, however, I made an attempt with the German world of students. IT is very common to sit at a table with people you don't know in the school cafeteria. I ate without the rest of the KIIS group, so I made myself comfortable. Shortly after, a group of guys sat down next to me. Now, let me just say that getting food at the Mensa is something like Russian roulette. A week or so ago, they had something labeled as "American Schnitzel". I honestly didn't know there was such a thing. And if there was, I certainly didn't think it would be covered in a gravy that had corn and beans. Moving on. Today, I got what I thought was some sort of pasta with vegetables and sauerkraut. Well, it wasn't pasta, so I attempted to ask the guys sitting next to me what it was. The guy sitting directly next to me gave me a side long glance and said nothing. The guy opposite me asked me if I spoke French, which was actually pretty cool, and better than him thinking I'm American, I think. He gave me a very brief description, and that was that. No other conversation. It was some kind of potato thing, any how.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

American schnitzel? That kind of seems like an oxymoron. Maybe beans and corn just make anything American? Anyway, good luck cracking those coconuts!

cebacurin said...

I know. We all looked at each other like.. WTF?! A lot of Americans probably don't know what schnitzel is..

cadonahu said...

I haven't had a chance to read much of your blog because I am busy and when I'm not I watch 10 RMB ($2) DVDs. But I just did and I am jealous! I want to go to Germany!

bagofcorn said...

yeah, the german guy at work was definitely like that. When I interviewed at SWT I went out to lunch with most of the office and Klaus, the German guy came. He totally intimidated me - definitely seemed like a 'coconut' He's a nice guy when you get to know him but can be a pain in the ass too. Anytime a product rep would come in a give a presentation he would ask all these really tough questions and the rep would be like uhhhhh...
He always let you know if you did something wrong...

cebacurin said...

Dumb coconuts.