Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Minor disaster

I've gotten pretty adjusted to getting where I need to go by bike. At first, I was really intimidated by riding in traffic. It's not a problem for me anymore, in fact, I find it exhilarating. Riding a bike in the rain has turned out to be a problem in and of itself. On my way to school, I rode with one hand on the handlebars, my other hand holding the hood of my raincoat over my head. Surprisingly enough, that was not when disaster struck.
I went to the mall after school to look for something for Fabian's birthday which is on Thursday. As I started to brake, I put my foot out to help skid myself to a stop. Didn't work so well. It was so slick that I ended up slipping and falling on my ass, in front of the mall, in front of quite a few people. Well..what else was there for me to do but laugh it off? Strangely enough I actually cracked through a German's stoicism and someone came over to my rescue. All I could do was say between laughing at my self. "Nein, nein, danke, Ich bin Ordnung". That should mean I'm okay. Lets hope!

5 comments:

Shari Bac said...

I'm glad you're okay and nothing serious was wrong. You scared me for a minute! Especially since I don't have a passport and couldn't get to you. What was I thinking....

bagofcorn said...

lol, well at least it wasn't as bad as what i did - in my extreme wisdom (note the sarcasm) one morning there was lots of ice and snow and I had to walk a mile to class. I loathe walking on ice b/c I always slip, so I thought maybe it'll be easier on my bike.

I reasoned it out in my head - it totally made sense at the time...

but yeah I rode out of the driveway, hit the snow on the road and promptly fell over. Didn't ride my bike after that...

Amanda said...

Wow, I'm glad you're okay! I'm finally caught up on your blog now. Stupid art projects.

michelle said...

Must be a cousin thing! Ben has suddenly taken his bike back to UTM a week ago after not riding it for years! He is tooling around everywhere on campus. No reports of any accidnts yet!
Knowing and dealing with Papaw your whole life should make those staid Germans a piece of cake (or schnitzel) LOL
Glad the conversation is getting easier for you and you are doing well in class.

cebacurin said...

Lol. It's just easier to get around campus by bike. My friend here, Bo, makes fun of my old granny bike, because the brakes squeak horribly, but I know he's just jealous. I'm really going to miss being able to go everywhere by bike!!!