Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fog and the Forbidden Forest


Wednesday was our field trip day again. I'm late uploading this, but whatev. I always am. Consider yourself privileged.
The trip by train really didn't take very long at all, which is extraordinary. It usually takes us at least an hour. And it didn't even take that. We had maybe thirty minutes by train and then twenty minutes by bus. So not bad at all. Somehow I deleted all my music off my Ipod, but not the games, so there you have it.
The first part of the trip involved a hike, which I really enjoyed.
I thought I was in the Forbidden forest!! The hike took some time, but I enjoyed it. There were crazy looking mushrooms growing everywhere. Apparently it's kind of a big deal to go out into the forest to collect fresh mushrooms for dinner, but that would make me a bit nervous. So we were actually up in the mountains a bit here, which I of course enjoyed. It made me think of NC and of course I wanted to go back. Another girl on the trip worked at a camp too, so we shared some camp stories. I ended up talking to Leonie for quite a while about the art classes that are offered at Regensburg Uni, and that I might be able to be a guest. That would be really neat, but I think that I might have some schedule conflicts. I also asked her about her expereience in the States. She studied near Boston, and wanted to stay longer, but ran out of funds. I told her about camp, and that they often hire foreigners.
We eventually got to what we were hiking towards, which was Befreiungshalle near Kelheim. The fog really obstructed our view. I took a picture but ended up deleting it. Since we couldn't really see the building, we took a group picture with the fog. We were only a few hundred meters away, and we really couldn't see it at all. I thought it was awesome though, and an interesting story to tell. It would have been nice to be able to see the view from the top of the building...but it was still really great. The inside was really cool as well. There were an awful lot of stairs though. It seems to be a recurring theme. We did a bit more hiking, and I took a few more cool pictures of the fog.
After that we took a boat across this tiny portion of the Donau to get to the monastery. They make their own beer there! I thought we'd get a tour or something, but we didn't. We ate lunch at the monastery, and I had some tasty lamb ravioli, but it didn't taste much like lamb. I had another dark beer, which I liked a lot. I tried the boch, but the alcohol content is something insane, and I didn't want to be ridiculous for the rest of the trip.
Next, we went to the monastery church in all of it's Barocked out glory. I didn't know I liked Baroque art. It was pretty awesome, for being such a tiny church, especially since it looked so small and unassuming on the outside. Inside. Wow. The thing that was really strange to me though, was that there was only one depiction of Jesus. A woman started singing some sort of hymn in latin, which was unexpected, but cool. We also did a bit of walking around the place afterwards. Actually, we found a really beautiful spot, and we basked in the sun for a while. That was the best. Everyone got really quiet and we just enjoyed the moment. It was amazing. We got back to the bus with the little boat we came in on, but took it for about 20 minutes this time. I got some really amazing pictures of the Donau, and Befreiungshalle. Which was good, since the fog




covered most of it before.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Alfred Stieglitz loved fog! They're just losers!

cebacurin said...

Well! Maybe I am a reincarnation of Mr Stieglitz! But yes. I agree.