Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Funny Little Things

I need to remember to write these things down. They are priceless.

So I prefer ice cream in bowls, instead of a cone, but I can never remember the word for cup. When we went to München for Oktoberfest, I overheard part of a discussion my hostmom was having with some friends as we were riding on the train. I was kind of half asleep, but I heard the word "becher", which I remembered means bowl. So I woke up and said, Becher, that means bowl right? My hostmom started to chuckle, and said, well it's complicated. Apparently I had missed the rest of the conversation, because they were talking about EierBecher, or egg cups. But not the kind for breakfast. Apparently that's what Germans call a jock strap. It was interesting.

Also, I almost wrote a second ago that we were driving the train, rather than riding it, because there is really only one German verb for riding/driving a car, train, bus, or bicycle.

Today I explained to my host mom and host sister what going commando, or "free balling it" means. They were really surprised anyone would do that, other than Brittney Spears, of course.. Or Lindsay Lohan. Or Paris Hilton. Yes. They mentioned all three of them.

A week or so ago, we realized that a very large spider had made a web on one of the windows. Isabella and I looked at it with some trepidation, and she asked me what the English word for web was. She nodded her head, and then a few seconds later, a look of recognition came across her face, and she said.."OH! WWW!! I get it now!" (As in the internet..) It was pretty priceless.

Also, Germans never wear white socks. I think it's considered tacky here. I can personally validate this, as I don't think I've seen a single white sock in the house, except for mine. Also, wearing socks with ballet flats, sandels, etc, is perfectly fine.

1 comment:

Jen said...

um...i would give anything to have a story about explaining "free balling" to a german. seriously. that would make my life. i'm jealous.